What is auto insurance?
Auto insurance is a written agreement between you and your auto insurance carrier that spells out the obligations of your company for what they will cover in the event of a loss, as well as the contractual conditions and provisions of the agreement. It also specifies the amount you will have to pay, in turn, for this protection.
provides property, liability and “First Party” coverage.
- Property coverage pays for damage to your car or theft of your vehicle
- Liability coverage protects you for bodily injury or property damage you may cause to others. It pays for your legal responsibility to others for bodily injury or property damage.
- First Party coverage provides reimbursement for medical bills for injuries, cost of treatment, rehabilitation, lost wages and sometimes funeral expenses for you the "insured", as defined by the policy.
These are the three "core" types of coverages that exist on an auto policy. Most states require you to carry Liability coverage, subject to minimum limits defined by that state, and certain "First Party" coverages.
An auto insurance policy is comprised of six different kinds of coverage. Most states require you to buy some, but not all, of these coverages. If you're financing a car, your lender may also have requirements.
Most auto policies run either for a policy term of six months or twelve months. Subject to the specifications of each state, your insurance company will notify you when it's time to renew your account before it expires, and before any change in pricing specifics. Your insurance company should notify you by mail when it's time to renew the policy and to pay your premium.
Why the need for auto insurance?
The purpose of auto insurance is to protect you from unforeseen auto accidents that can instantly threaten your financial well-being. The following are examples:
- A vehicle can be a considerable investment and can cause a serious financial drain and inconvenience if your auto is damaged or stolen and needs to be repaired or replaced.
- With the current and rising cost of medical care, cost incurred for injuries sustained by you and your passengers can be astronomical.
- The extent of how much you can be sued for in the event of causing injuries to others from an accident is always an unknown and can potentially cause a loss of everything you possess if the proper protection is not in place. Insurance is a basic concept of paying a little now to potentially avoid losing a lot later.
- Not only is having insurance a prudent financial decision, but most states make having an auto policy mandatory, many states require you to have at least some coverage.
Questions to ask your agent
Your Independent Agent is your advocate responsible for tailor-fitting a plan to meet your specific needs. For finding auto insurance that meets your specific needs, here are a few things to consider as you prepare for coverage and cost analysis:
- What can you afford to pay out of pocket if your car is damaged? Cost of insurance can be slightly offset with going with higher deductibles for the physical damage to owned vehicles listed on the policy.
- What is the reputation of service for the agency and the insurance carrier they are proposing coverage on behalf of? Insurance is boiled down to "promises of service". The quicker an agency and carrier responds to you when you sustain a loss, the less of a financial burden and inconvenience you will incur which correlates to greater value per premium dollar.
- What discounts are applicable toward your specific situation? Be familiar with the optional safety features of your vehicle, ask about multiple policy discounts, and advice for managing credit history that can impact auto insurance premiums.
- What to do at the time of a loss? Ask your agent to educate you in advance about the steps to take in the event of an accident, as well as who to call and what to expect once a claim is filed
Car Insurance Quote Forms
Looking for comprehensive auto coverage at the lowest possible cost? Click on either of the following links and our licensed professionals will search to find you the most comprehensive, affordable plan for your needs. Looking for the best auto insurance coverage for you? Click any of the following links to submit a quote for quick, accurate, and affordable rates.
Auto Insurance Customer Service Options
Self policy service any time of the day, directly from our website. To request a policy change on your account, click any of the following policy service options below.
For your convenience, the following link is available to request a vehicle id card.
Auto Insurance Information